Saturday, February 9, 2008

Its Grandma!




Back in the pre-caller ID days. It was always a guess who was calling on the phone. Often our family would try to guess who was calling by the one sided conversation we could hear.

Grandma was hands down the fastest and easiest to guess. Two or three words into the phone answerer's first sentance we would always know and say, "Oh its Grandma."

How could this be you may ask? Easy! EVERY SINGLE TIME Grandma called the first thing she would say was, "What ya doing?" I can still hear those words and her intonation.

Thus the phone answerer would say, "We are eating dinner" or "I am doing homework." Grandma loved to know what were doing and that was ALWAYS the first thing she would ask.

Whenever I talk to a niece or nephew on the phone and the first thing that comes out of my mouth is, "What ya doing?" I almost laugh out loud. Like Grandmother like Granddaughter!

2 comments:

chelle said...

WHAT YA DOIN? YES I remember this! I miss her. m

chelle said...

One time when Grandma called and asked her infamous question I answered, "I'm crying". She got all upset and wanted to know what was wrong. I said, "I'm peeling onions".

Mom