Sunday, February 10, 2008

The other Egg Story

Hi, Mechelle here to tell you another story about Grandma and Grandpa.

This is most likely my favorite Grandma/pa story. Our story starts in the dinning room of the country home with Grandpa at the table and Grandma in the kitchen fixing breakfast. I had stayed the night and was sleepily rubbing my eyes and listening to Grandma run around the Kitchen talking all the while. I don't know who she was talking to since Grandpa and I were not very talkative at the early morning hour.

I don't remember what Grandpa was doing. I don't think he was reading the paper for they lived so far out in the country I don't think they would have paid to have the paper delivered. But maybe he was just sitting there with me.

As the soft morning rays fall across the table Grandma brought over a plate for Grandpa. I don't remember what was on the plate, I am guessing there were toast and hash browns and some fruit, but that is all a guess. What I do remember was the eggs.

I had never seen eggs cooked like that before. They looked like rubber. The yoke was completely broken and the whole egg was cooked flat. It was the most unappetizing egg I had ever seen. Astonished, I gasped, "Grandpa is that how you like your eggs?"

Grandma answered for him from the Kitchen, "Oh, yes Harold you love your eggs that way. All cooked flat and rubbery. I have to break the yoke for him every morning. He just loves to exercise his jaw chewing and chewing forever on those leathery eggs. He can't get enough....." and on and on she went. As the monolog poured out from the Kitchen, Grandpa leaned over to me and whispered, "It's how I get 'em," and went on eating.

2 comments:

Janell said...

This is one that makes me laugh and cry! Laugh because it is so funny and cry becsue I miss him. What a sweet man. I know nobody could ever be like Grandma. But there was no one else like Grandpa, either. What a perfect pair.

chelle said...

It is so hard for me to write about Grandma with Grandpa. They were a pair. This November will be the 10th anniversary of his death. Do you think he has had a chance to say something to Grandma yet? m