Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pennies for Chicken

A week ago we took the kids to a movie. I went out to get a refill on the bottomless popcorn David bought. As I waited in line I noticed the girls in front of me were paying for their treats with pennies.

Boy did that bring back memories. When I was in high school I had a job at Kentucky Fried Chicken. One evening while I was at work, Grandma and Grandpa came in to get some dinner. When it came time to pay, Grandma swung her purse up onto the counter.

I am sure all Grandma's grandchildren can remember that purse well. It was the source of all those balloons and butterscotch candys. She was quick to hand these treasures out to her grandchildren. We were all thrilled that the bank was always so 'generous' with Grandma, to 'give' her handfulls and handfulls of free balloons.

After removing an old fashion leather pouch, Grandma poured a pile of coins onto the counter. She then proceeded to count out the coins and pay for the entire meal with coins only. In the middle of counting money she leaned over and said that she would never pay with coins with just anyone.

I assured her I did not mind and still smile when I think of her counting out her coins.

3 comments:

Janell said...

This makes me smile too =). But you know what, I think she wouldn't have minded paying with coins to most people!!

chelle said...

She loved her pennies. And her purse. I remember it well. She also had rock hard licorice in that purse. Do you remember that? M

julie said...

J - I think so too.
M - I don't remember that. How sad. She did LOVE that purse! I wonder what happen to it?